Sunday, June 11, 2017

Review: Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture

Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture by Peggy Orenstein
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Overall, this book was a solid critique of the "girl power" culture of the 90s, when I was growing up, and with the princess and girly girl expectations of women. I think some groups were left out of the conversation, and the book was definitely more focused on White middle class straight women. But some chapters and sections were insightful and worthy of study in secondary and post-secondary classrooms. Specifically, I appreciate Orenstein's insightful thoughts about why people are drawn to the Twilight series and the positive and negative attribute of this YA series that has received much attention. Also, I agree with her assessments as to why children need fantasy and play; I cited Bruno Bettelheim in one of my comprehensive exam essays so appreciated that part of the discussion. Overall, the book is a worthwhile read. In teaching it, I would cherry pick sections, but I'm glad I added it to my repertoire of feminist readings.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment