Saturday, August 20, 2016

Review: Bitch Planet, Vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine

Bitch Planet, Vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine Bitch Planet, Vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine by Kelly Sue DeConnick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoy the science fiction/dystopia world of this comic, along with the exploration of intersectional feminism. In this world, women who do not fit societal norms and who are deemed "non-compliant" are sent to a prison place called "Bitch Planet." Yet over time, they find a way to fight the system, which is run by patriarchal White men. Among the most clever panels involve advertisements and advice columns for women, some of which are eerily similar to ones we see in the modern-day. I love the female characters in this book, and they come in many different shapes, sizes, skin tones, and personalities. Kelly Sue Deconnick really is a writing genius. I look forward to the next volume. Also, the discussion questions at the end of this volume are great, and I love that because I read this book for my comics/graphic novels book club at Avid Bookshop. I'm studying book clubs and literary events for my dissertation research, so I love any questions that fuel good discussion. Also, I can't help but wonder if I would be sent to "Bitch Planet" in this fictional universe? Probably. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment