Sunday, July 10, 2016

Review: Dietland

Dietland Dietland by Sarai Walker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and thought it touched on many important issues regarding feminism and the way women are treated. Avid Bookshop's Social Justice book club is discussing it on Tuesday night, so I look forward to hearing what others have to say about it. Don't let the title fool you. It's not about dieting. The main character is an overweight young woman (new adult age) who struggles with confidence issues because of her size and the way people treat her because of it. And yes, the book is critical of the dieting culture and the beauty industry, in a good and thoughtful way. But it is also a feminist manifesto of sorts: Plum learns to stand up for herself, as do other women who have been mistreated for different reasons. If I have/raise a daughter one day, I will give her this book. I will say that it requires a certain suspension of disbelief, as some of the events seem farfetched. But if you're willing to go with it and to let your imagination run free, definitely read this book. I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could. In particular, the momentum really picks up halfway through, and there's some entertaining satire throughout the book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment