Thursday, April 14, 2016

Review: Ordinary Affects

Ordinary Affects Ordinary Affects by Kathleen Stewart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this book and found the vignettes toward the beginning especially compelling. I have an interest in affect theory and ethnography, and reading this book increased my understanding of both concepts. This ethnographic observations of every day life and the passions behind the events showed an intriguing, alternative way to represent data that parallels other feminist qualitative researchers I have read so far, such as Margery Wolf and Bettie St. Pierre. The introduction of the book was helpful in disseminating the book's overall purpose. Overall, I am intrigued to read more about affect theory and how to put it into action with my own research. The affect Stewart describes in these vignettes reminds me of what I've experienced in some fandom events I have attended, so I am excited to explore the concept further.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment