Sunday, April 1, 2018

Review: Angel

Angel Angel by Stacey Abbott
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've loved the horror genre since I was a late elementary school student who read RL Stine, Christopher Pike, and Fear Street stories. I came to the Buffyverse fandom later than some people, when I was a graduate student in my early thirties. It fit my emerging research interest of empowered female protagonists in speculative fiction. I loved Buffy because of the characters, and because it reminded me of my own teen years, since I was in high school/college at the same time as the central characters. I loved Angel because I could relate to what they were going through in early adulthood, and still can in some regards. Angel, I believe, is underrepresented in scholarship, so I was glad to see this book explore the show in more depth, especially since I'm so interested in Angel and Faith's relationship, as further explored in the comics. I have a better appreciation of the horror genre and film noir as a result of reading this book and look forward to exploring more of Abbott's work.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment