Saturday, September 24, 2016

Review: Empath

Empath Empath by S. Usher Evans
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I love how this is a fantasy story framed by instances in the real world, which seemed almost a little bit too real for me at times! The best way I can describe it is Rogue from the X-Men meets a modern-day fantasy story in which the heroine ultimately saves herself. It takes some typical romance and fairy tale tropes and re-writes them, which I can truly appreciate. I would not have known about this book if it weren't for the Dragoncon YA Literature track, so mad props to Dragoncon! I'm a bit of an "empath" myself, so I can appreciate the balance Lauren had to strike between healing others and taking time to address her own inner dragons. I can relate to the story on a personal level, and I'm glad the book addresses real life issues: anxiety, depressive episodes, the pressure for young southern women to get married by a certain age (without it always mattering to whom), trying to find a vocation you truly love and that fits you, I could go on! I almost wasn't sure I could finish the book because it almost seemed a little bit too real for me, but I'm really glad I did. Really, I'd give it 4 1/2 stars if I could, as I really enjoyed going on this journey.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment