Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Review: A Thrice-Told Tale: Feminism, Postmodernism, and Ethnographic Responsibility

A Thrice-Told Tale: Feminism, Postmodernism, and Ethnographic Responsibility A Thrice-Told Tale: Feminism, Postmodernism, and Ethnographic Responsibility by Margery Wolf
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Feminism, ethnographic study, postmodernism, and evocative ethnography…of course I enjoyed it! In particular, I enjoyed the creative/imaginative piece. I thought it was very compelling, and it made a strong case for evocative ethnography and autoethnography, both of which are methodologies I am passionate about. My only critique is that I would have liked fewer field notes and more commentary about them. Field notes can be dry to read if you are not the researcher herself, and more commentary would have helped me better understand how she wrote both her traditional academic piece and her more evocative piece. Overall, I loved the book, especially the parts where she discussed how feminist theory and postmodern theory inform her work. I am seeing more and more how feminism affects my understandings and my daily life, so I could relate to these ruminations.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment