Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Review: Alive in the Writing: Crafting Ethnography in the Company of Chekhov

Alive in the Writing: Crafting Ethnography in the Company of Chekhov Alive in the Writing: Crafting Ethnography in the Company of Chekhov by Kirin Narayan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was a breath of fresh air and a perfect mix of the theory and practice of writing autoethnography and evocative ethnography. The writing style was accessible, and the activities are ones that I can see myself doing on a day when I feel stuck. I also think it would be a helpful read for those interested in writing creative nonfiction, whether or not it has an autoethnographic focus. I loved this book, and reading it made me feel like I was having coffee with a writing buddy to discuss our research and our art. Also, I loved the references to other literary ethnographers and found the examples helpful for scene building and sensory detail development, the writing skills that I most need to further develop.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment